10:37 AM
Edit This
It's almost Morel mushroom season in the midwest and I can't wait! After being gone from home for a couple years and missing out on the season a couple years prior to that, I'm very ready for some mushroom hunting. If the weather keeps warming up, we should be in store for some yummy treats in a couple of weeks or so. That's when you'll find me in the woods on my grandfather's property in Logansport, IN hunting with the rest of the Ide family (Mom's side). Hopefully some of them will read this and back me up. :-) I know the look kind of gross, but once they are cleaned, floured, and browned up in the frying pan....there isn't anything like 'em! If you don't have time to hunt, don't worry. You can usually find them at the grocery store during the season.....for as much as $35 per lb fresh. Maybe I'm cheap, but I'll stick to hunting them myself and creating family memories in the process. If you've never tried it, let me know and maybe you can join us!
7 comments:
Oh, you're killin' me! The only thing that comes close to morels in Japan is monkey brains. And who wants to flour and fry that? Eww! Wish we could go huntin' with ya. And she's right, ya'll...they taste great. I don't know which is better, the hunting or the eating. Have fun, and think of us in the midst!
Yes...they're delightful, delectable, and delicious...and don't wash off all of the little creatures that have hidden themselves inside. That's extra protein!
You're messed up.
Who??? Me or my Uncle Denny? :-P Like I said, don't knock em till you try em!
LITERALLY the best thing about living in the midwest... yep, that's right, morels. Ah... and I hate all other mushrooms! I'm a morel girl through and through though. Nice pic btw! I have a couple I took last year when Crystal and I went... good times! But Sarah, you're a nicer person than I am because I wouldn't be offering to share with anyone who happens to read a blog... ;)
Update:
I got to go mushroom hunting!!!! We were pretty skeptical about finding anything, but we were not disappointed. I went with My Uncle Denny and Aunt Sabrena along with Audra and we found a full bag with some MONSTER mushrooms. They made for quite a few awesome meals. :)
man, oh man!! i miss mushroom hunting. there's no more quintessential midwestern pasttime. and to think, sarah, that you have taken my place in the family mushroom hunting. i want to hear more about all of these huge mushrooms.
Post a Comment