Out with the old....In with the new

11:00 AM Edit This 11 Comments »
Okay, so you've all gone through it. That time comes when your car just gets to "that age where things start to go". It's time to retire the Olds. Alero (or at least sell it to a local high school student). For being a 99, it's in decent shape but I'm ready for something a little more reliable and well, nicer. Hopefully in a couple of months (when I've saved up some money and can make some repairs on the Alero) you'll see me crusin' in my new wheels! So now comes the point to this whole post....what recommendations do you all have? I've looked at just about every type of vehicle and all the websites, but nothing beats hearing from people who actually own the cars I'm looking at. As of right now I'm looking seriously at the Pontiac G6. I also like the looks of the Scion tC, but the dealership that I want to use only has American-made vehicles at REALLY good prices. I know, I know.....the foreign ones are getting the best ratings. BUT some of the American-made are still doing well, too. With that vehicle-type in mind, what do you think? Does any one have any ideas, thoughts, concerns OR want to by the Alero? ;) Here's what the G6 looks like (a lot like a cross between a Grand Prix and Grand AM):

11 comments:

Jeremy said...

Why in the world are you committed to a certain dealership? Nobody in our family bought a dealership, did they?!? Buy the best car that will be the most reliable for you...Buy Japanese!! I don't care because it's Japanese...they're just better, and stay together much longer. I'd rather drive a car that won't fall apart than one that looks a certain way. But that's just my two cents. Kiss the Olds for me! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Base your decision on gas mileage...it's looking like that is what's going to save you money more than the dealer price. But, that's just my two cents! =)

Sarah said...

Jerm:
I'm committed to them because they are offering a discount to me since this will be the second car I've purchased from them...and their cars are already discounted due to the fact that he gets them when they come off of leases. I talked with him about getting a foreign car and he said if that's what I wanted, he could try to find one. BUT that the prices for the foreign ones are a lot higher and he wouldn't get them at a discount...which means I wouldn't either :( Besides, from what I hear, the newer foreign car parts are all made here in the US and aren't really fareing that well. It's the older models that are good, but not so much with the newer ones (Or so I'm told). Believe me, I've thought about it a lot. I just can't find the newer models in my price range and I don't like the looks of any of the older ones...Sorry, but if I'm spending all this money I want to actually like the car I'm spending all my dough on ;) We'll see though.....

Jeremy said...

Ok, my only reply is this: buy a copy of Consumer Reports and see what cars are getting the best ratings. Those guys evaluate and compare all models, and are impartial in their conclusions. They evaluate safety, reliability, gas mileage, etc. Don't go by hearsay, get your hands on some good research. Later, gator!

Jeremy said...

Here's a good link:

http://autos.msn.com/home/consumer_reports.aspx

Brooke said...

Sarah! Seriously think about buying a Toyota Corolla! Kyle and I bought a brand new one recently...then someone ran a red light and totalled that one...so then we bought another brand new one after getting the money from the guy's insurance company. Our Corolla runs great and gets great gas mileage. The manual transmissions get 38/41 MPG (that's what we have), but the automatics get only slightly less. We were able to get our brand new car for the price of $14,700 (sticker price of $16,100)at Andy Mohr Toyota in Avon. Perhaps I could get you a referral discount! And maybe they could accept your trade. By the way, that price was for the more luxurious model with electric everything (including a sensor that can tell if someone over 80 lbs is riding in the front passenger seat so as to activate the airbag on that side--otherwise it turns off). Think about it, and I'd be happy to let you see my car if you like. Love ya! -Brooke

Laura said...

Honda Civic, baby! Best car ever!

Sarah said...

Uncle! Uncle! Okay, so I'm looking into getting a Toyota Matrix.....more than I wanted to pay, but we will see. More info in a couple of months when I have more money :)

Brooke said...

Laura,

I thought Civics were the best cars ever (I've owned two of them)...but then I got my Toyota Corolla, and I think I've changed my mind! Plus, Corollas are much cheaper and get better gas mileage I believe. Sarah, think about it... ;)

Jeremy said...

Ha! We've overwhelmed her defenses, and steered her away from the vastly inferior American trash. Now, we can all collect our royalties from Honda and Toyota. I'll see if I can get your checks in the mail next week. Mr. Takamura from the Japanese Auto Manufacturers Alliance told me to tell you all "arigato." He said, "With your continued support and hard work, soon America will be over-run with high-quality, gas-efficient, and slightly-too-small Japanese automobiles. Japan will be forever in your debt. Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu!!!"

Sarah said...

Well, actually the Matrix IS the Corolla. The only difference is that it has a Vibe body, but the frame is the same. I'm still tossing around some other cars. I change my mind every day....